McPherson Museum and Arts Foundation offers many services to the public. The Museum houses a variety of artifacts: historical artifacts from the McPherson area; natural history artifacts such as meteorites, Ice Age fossils, and regional fossils; ethnic artifacts from China, Africa, and of Native Americans; and fine art, including an extensive collection of Birger Sandzen lithographs and original art pieces. In addition, there is information about the city and county namesake, General McPherson; about the first man-made diamond large enough to be visible, created in McPherson; items from the McPherson Globe Refiners basketball team, the first team ever to win an Olympic gold medal.
Museum mission statement:
McPherson Museum and Arts Foundation preserves and presents for public benefit the historical, cultural and artistic heritage of the McPherson community.
History of the Museum
The Museum began life as the City/McPherson College Museum in 1968. It later became the sole responsibility of the City. The McPherson Museum and Arts Foundation (MMAF) was incorporated in 1984 but remained fully funded by the City of McPherson until 1999, when it was turned over to the MMAF and became a non-profit organization.
McPherson Museum and Arts Foundation was previously located at 1130 East Euclid in McPherson, Kansas, where it had been since its inception as a Museum in 1968. The building was built as a 1920 Tudor Revival private home. The new Museum facility is located at 1111 East Kansas Avenue, on what was the site of the original Cedars Nursing Home.